Image

Trailer Park Nirvana image created by Stefany Kleeschulte.



Tuesday, December 13, 2011

To Die in Mexico

This could be a tip for living in Mexico but I don't have time to fully explore the subject.

The man in the motorhome two doors down from me died this morning. Somehow I missed the noise of people banging on doors, the lights of the ambulance and the police.

He and his wife arrived about three weeks ago, just before Thanksgiving. They'd been coming down to Kino for a long time but I don't know how long. He got this cold that's been going around and it lingered, settled in his chest. He wouldn't go see the doctor. Then this morning he got out of bed, went and sat in a chair and died.

Another gringo died here a couple years ago and it's impressive how easy and cheap the arrangements are. Someone (police? coroner?) calls a couple morticians or local mortician brokers and they bid on their services. The body is taken to Hermosillo and cremated. The whole thing takes only a day or two and costs around $600.

To save my daughter even more money she could have Saul take me out in his boat and dump me in the Sea of Cortez (he has to be three miles out). A hundred bucks would probably do it.

So, Stef, if you're reading this, I'd like my ashes scattered in the Santa Rita Mountains but if you don't have the money, just do the Saul thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment